Kelly Ellard

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wonder what made her like she was? Was she abused early on? She was not an unattractive girl. I've always wondered what happened to turn her into the monster that she is.

No remorse, no empathy, very selfish.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
She is a psychopath and she should never be allowed out of prison under any
circumstances. This girl is trying to prove she is better than the system and
we should continue to insist on a dangerous offender status.

fvisthelma

Jul 25, 2011
kelly ellard.. what a joke..
i know her, and she is the biggest coward ive ever met. she tried to enter an adult prison with a "tough guy" attitude. haha that didnt last very long. should i start with her being sent back east to nova scotia where she was constantly harrassed and picked on? how she finally got to feel what its like to be on teh other end of the racisit jokes, how she was sexually assaulted by other inmates and treated like a prison bi$#@h?? or how bout when she got sent back to bc prison. where she tried to once again be the tough guy and had her nose broken and rearranged by another inmate who beat her up so bad she wanted to b e transferred to yet another prison, or how when her transfer was denied she put herself in segregation for weeks outta fear. how she was constantly taunted and made fun of on a daily basis. how shes dveloped an eating disorder after she saw how fat ad ugly she really was on the news. i know tht this will never bring ms virk back but i hope her loved ones get a bit of comfort out of knowing the crappy time ellard is having in prison.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
kelly ellard.. what a joke..
i know her, and she is the biggest coward ive ever met. she tried to enter an adult prison with a "tough guy" attitude. haha that didnt last very long. should i start with her being sent back east to nova scotia where she was constantly harrassed and picked on? how she finally got to feel what its like to be on teh other end of the racisit jokes, how she was sexually assaulted by other inmates and treated like a prison bi$#@h?? or how bout when she got sent back to bc prison. where she tried to once again be the tough guy and had her nose broken and rearranged by another inmate who beat her up so bad she wanted to b e transferred to yet another prison, or how when her transfer was denied she put herself in segregation for weeks outta fear. how she was constantly taunted and made fun of on a daily basis. how shes dveloped an eating disorder after she saw how fat ad ugly she really was on the news. i know tht this will never bring ms virk back but i hope her loved ones get a bit of comfort out of knowing the crappy time ellard is having in prison.

Not surprising...........what goes around generally comes around. And yet I can't help thinking that way back when there was a little girl who laughed and cried and bled and hurt just like the rest of us and somehow got derailed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not surprising...........what goes around generally comes around. And yet I can't help thinking that way back when there was a little girl who laughed and cried and bled and hurt just like the rest of us and somehow got derailed.

I try not to be a bleeding heart. I like swift and meaningful justice and sentencing. But, Iike you, I esitate to sit and gloat over for that exact reason. That, and the fact that we have a reform system... the idea is to make a meaningful change in the person as they WILL be reintering society, not to turn a broken, spiteful person even worse, and then set them loose on the population once again.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This story keeps coming back and it touches us all because we knew who the bullies were,
or we were subject to their twisted games, at least some of us. I remember my first week
of school, I was a bigger kid but still I was only six. The grade five bully decided to make an
example of me and show how brave he was. The only thing he didn't know was my dad was
a man who fought his way across North Africa, Italy and Northern Europe. He also wanted
to make sure I could at least defend myself once I went to school. The poor little bu**er that
picked on me. I beat the hell out of him, and then the other kids that he used to have as
friends turned on him.
Kelly Ellard is the type of person that has no conscience, she will say or do whatever it takes
to have her own way. This time she is finding out that her life plan is not going to go her way.
I predict that if she were to get out, she will not be out for long, as she has learned nothing
from this experience.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I too find it rather sad, in a "what a waste of a life" kind of way.

We all come into this world with more or less the same kind of promise. Where and why does it go so wrong for some?

I cannot believe that anybody can be this way and be at all happy ever. And that's sad.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Notorious teen killer Kelly Ellard seeks day parole 2 decades after vicious murder
Tamsyn Burgmann, THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 08:17 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, May 01, 2016 08:25 PM EDT
VANCOUVER -- Almost two decades since an ostracized 14-year-old was swarmed, viciously beaten and then callously drowned near a Victoria bridge, Reena Virk's most notorious killer is asking for release.
Kelly Ellard was 15 years old in November 1997 when she smashed Virk's head against a tree and then held the Grade 9 student's head underwater until she stopped moving.
Ellard is scheduled to attend her first day-parole hearing on Tuesday, seven years after the Supreme Court of Canada rejected an appeal of her second-degree murder conviction.
She has waived her right to a full parole hearing four times while serving her life sentence, but has remained eligible for day parole and applied for release several months ago.
Ahead of the hearing, Virk's grandfather said the family no longer believes Ellard can redeem herself.
"If she had admitted (her role) and if she had told the truth, then it would have been much better for our conscious, our pain, our satisfaction," said Mukand Pallan, 86, from his home in Victoria.
"The way she behaved, we're very, very mad about it. It doesn't seem right, she's not a good girl, she doesn't deserve any help."
Members of the Virk family showed compassion for many years towards Ellard, three others girls convicted of assault and Warren Glowatski, who was also found guilty of second-degree murder in the teen's death.
They no longer believe Ellard, now 33, will change but will trust the federal parole board to make the correct decision, Pallan said.
"It is very painful, but there's nothing too much we can do about it anymore."
Virk's parents, Manjit and Suman, have taken a vacation in order to avoid media attention, Pallan added.
The attack focused a national spotlight on bullying and teen violence, particularly among girls.
The murder happened late in the evening after Virk joined a group of teens gathered outside a local school to drink and smoke pot. She was assaulted until bloody by several teens and then crossed a bridge, pleading to be left alone. Successive trials heard that Ellard and Glowatski followed.
During Ellard's third trial, a pathologist testified Virk's brain was swollen and she suffered at least 18 forceful blows to her body. She died from drowning and her body was found adrift in a local inlet.
Ellard was put on trial for murder as an adult.
A jury found her guilty during the first trial in 2000, but the verdict was overturned and a new trial ordered when the B.C. Court of Appeal determined the Crown had conducted cross-examination improperly.
She testified during her second trial in 2004, sobbing and insisting she "never crossed the bridge." The jury was unable to reach a verdict.
Ellard didn't testify during her third trial in 2005. She was convicted and then won an appeal, but Canada's highest court rejected the case and restored the conviction.
She has run into other trouble since Virk's death.
Ellard's bail was revoked in 2004 while she was living in a halfway house awaiting trial. She was charged with assault causing bodily harm of an older woman in a New Westminster park. The charges were stayed after she was found guilty in the Virk trial.
Court documents in 2005 said Ellard was a belligerent and often abusive inmate, who had violent outbursts that included throwing food and kicking chairs.
She was portrayed as having a fragile mental state as a result of her prison time during her sentencing hearing.
At the time, her mother Susan Pakos said in a letter to the judge that her daughter "has suffered more publicly and privately than anyone can ever imagine."
Her lawyer Peter Wilson described her as "a person everyone loves to hate."
Should Ellard's request for parole be granted, she would be placed under a release plan that includes a requirement she live in a halfway house, a parole official said.
A release plan usually includes a series of conditions attached to the parole board's risk assessment, such as abstaining from intoxicants and avoiding criminally active peers.
Kelly Ellard. (File photo)

Notorious teen killer Kelly Ellard seeks day parole 2 decades after vicious murd

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Notorious teen killer Kelly Ellard seeks day parole 2 decades after vicious murder
Tamsyn Burgmann, THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 08:17 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, May 01, 2016 08:25 PM EDT
VANCOUVER -- Almost two decades since an ostracized 14-year-old was swarmed, viciously beaten and then callously drowned near a Victoria bridge, Reena Virk's most notorious killer is asking for release.
Kelly Ellard was 15 years old in November 1997 when she smashed Virk's head against a tree and then held the Grade 9 student's head underwater until she stopped moving.
Notorious teen killer Kelly Ellard seeks day parole 2 decades after vicious murd

I'm not sure someone like her can be reformed. She was a hardened criminal at 15 w/o an iota of remorse.............no empathy whatsoever! No one would like to see her transformed to a normal caring human being more than I but ...............is it possible? She's definitely not ready for parole in my estimation. I could possibly see a program of baby steps that depend entirely on her deportment and the first misstep she's back in the hole for 30 days. There is also likely a dimension of mental illness that has to be sorted out too.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder if her frontal lobe is underdeveloped? Reason why I ask is I watched a documentary just last night about "good" and "evil" and apparently after the New Jersey school attack (Shady Hook) the parents of the students that were killed wanted research into why kids kill kids.

A neurologist said that they took MRI's of hundreds of kids between the ages of 14 - 16 and found that the kids that had real issues (not just being bratty) had underdeveloped frontal lobes compared to the average kid which basically means they're "wired" differently than the norm. Additional research is continuing and he's hoping that eventually they can come up with a treatment.

Morgan Freeman was the "host" of the film and he interviewed a man who had raped and killed several women. He said he simply had no feelings at all - no remorse or regrets. He's in prison for life, has already served 30 years and readily admits that if he were to be released today, he'd be a danger to society. He has no impulse control; no conscience. His MRI showed too that his frontal lobe was underdeveloped.

It was kinda interesting. My only question would be, (for preventative action) wouldn't you have to MRI each and every kid before they reached puberty to find out if they're a risk at becoming dangerous? OMG the cost would be phenomenal.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
At the time, her mother Susan Pakos said in a letter to the judge that her daughter "has suffered more publicly and privately than anyone can ever imagine."
As opposed to Reena Virk who obviously had the time of her life as she was basically tortured to death.
Kelly is a monster who not only doesn't deserve freedom, she doesn't deserve to live.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As opposed to Reena Virk who obviously had the time of her life as she was basically tortured to death.
Kelly is a monster who not only doesn't deserve freedom, she doesn't deserve to live.

I'm within a hair's width of agreeing with you. I've only one reservation. As I've said all along, back in the day there was likely a little girl who laughed and smiled and cried and hurt and who knows for sure there wasn't some trauma that derailed that?

Another one of these incidents not caused by or related to the smoking of pot.

Are we 100% sure of that? You don't think that when a bunch of rambunctious teenagers get together that could be on the agenda?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm within a hair's width of agreeing with you. I've only one reservation. As I've said all along, back in the day there was likely a little girl who laughed and smiled and cried and hurt and who knows for sure there wasn't some trauma that derailed that?

Sunshine and lollypops. You want to see every criminal released.

Are we 100% sure of that? You don't think that when a bunch of rambunctious teenagers get together that could be on the agenda?

Are you suggesting it is caused by the use of pot? I clearly said it was not.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Are you suggesting it is caused by the use of pot? I clearly said it was not.

Yeah, you clearly stated your opinion and mine differs slightly, so what's your point? :)

Sunshine and lollypops. You want to see every criminal released.

Do you always not read too good? It was the statement about her not deserving to live that I waffled on slightly! :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I haven't checked the calendar and the direction of the wind so I am not aware of your opinion at this given date and time.

Being a fairly broad minded guy, my opinions can be fluid, especially when new information comes to light. Nothing worse than some dogmatic old geezer who keeps repeating the same opinion he held in 1952. :)